Monday, March 3, 2008



O.K. So...today report cards came home with the girls. Lauren, who is in 4th grade is the love of her teacher. She loves Lauren's genuine enthusiasm for learning and she is a sweet girl and is every one's best friend...but...she is reading right at if not a little below grade level and she is working hard to improve in some other areas as well. She has all 4's, 3's and one 2. (A's, B's and one C). This would all be great! Except..Emily (grade 2) is reading at the same level as Lauren and got all 4's. Yes, I am super proud of Emily, she is smart as a whip. I am also proud of Lauren but she is devastated that she got "bad" grades compared with Emily. I don't want to belittle Emily's accomplishments, but I don't want Lauren to feel worse. What do I do??? This is definitely one of those moments that I can see us discussing in therapy in ten years.

3 comments:

Nelson News said...

You already know my opinion on this one! Let me know how it works, because in 2 years, this will be a post on my blog!

Jill said...

Julie, This is Jill Amber's friend... if you really are concerned, I can help. Talk to Amber and she can give you my number. Do you know her specific issue... comp., fluency, decoding?

Jennie Minor said...

I can't believe that it has been such a long time since I saw your girls! They are beautiful (always have been) and I can't believe that they are so old! AHHH
Sorry I don't know what advice to give about the grades. I was never really good at school. Amber ALWAYS got better grades than me. And I am pretty sure that I talked about this in therapy when I got older....haha jk